Saturday, November 12, 2011

Review - The Hollow by Jessica Verday


Series:  The Hollow #1
Publisher:  Simon Pulse
Published:  Originally published September 1, 2009
Edition:  Paperback, US
Pages:  509
Source:  Library

Summary:

When Abbey's best friend, Kristen, vanishes at the bridge near Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, everyone else is all too quick to accept that Kristen is dead and rumors fly that her death was no accident. Abbey goes through the motions of mourning her best friend, but privately, she refuses to believe that Kristen is really gone. Then she meets Caspian, the gorgeous and mysterious boy who shows up out of nowhere at Kristen's funeral, and keeps reappearing in Abbey's life. Caspian clearly has secrets of his own, but he's the only person who makes Abbey feel normal again...but also special.

Just when Abbey starts to feel that she might survive all this, she learns a secret that makes her question everything she thought she knew about her best friend. How could Kristen have kept silent about so much? And could this secret have led to her death? As Abbey struggles to understand Kristen's betrayal, she uncovers a frightening truth that nearly unravels her—one that will challenge her emerging love for Caspian, as well as her own sanity.

Review:

PLOT:  Although I had my doubts due to lukewarm reviews, I decided to give this one a go simply because of the original plotline.  When I was younger, I loved The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (thanks to that one episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark?) and have never encountered a book that fed off that legend.  But in all honesty, the book sort of flat for me until the last 75 pages or so.  There was no action in the previous 425 pages.  I also didn't understand where the whole making of the perfumes comes in to play.  Maybe it will pan out in the next 2 books?  I kind of felt like the author just needed something to fill the excesive amount of pages.  Also, what's with the big secret that was never elaborated on?!?  I want to know more about Kristen's double life!  That alone makes me want to read the other books, so I guess the book was worth the read.

CHARACTERS:  The 2 main characters, Abbey and Caspian, were alright but nothing to write home about.  Caspian is your typical mysterious guy thats hot and cold and Abbey is the typical MC girl that meets a guy and it's insta-love.  I like sexual tension in my love interests, and these characters don't have it.  Acutally, now that I think about it, they were kind of dull.  I did enjoy the characters of Katy and Nicholas, however.  Like Abbey, I felt like they were my grandparents.  And WTF is with Ben?  Who the hell is he?!?  I hope Ms. Verday's other books in the series have the kinks worked out, because if they are then this promises to be an original storyline (exception being the insta-love).  She's got the setting down, but I need more character elaboration and loose ends-tying!

3 out 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment