Friday, September 16, 2011

Review - It's Not Summer Without You by Jenny Han




Series:  Summer #2
Published: April 27, 2010
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster Children's
Edition: Hardback, US
Pages:  288
Source: Own

Summary:

Can summer be truly summer without Cousins Beach?
It used to be that Belly counted the days until summer, until she was back at Cousins Beach with Conrad and Jeremiah. But not this year. Not after Susannah got sick again and Conrad stopped caring. Everything that was right and good has fallen apart, leaving Belly wishing summer would never come.
But when Jeremiah calls saying Conrad has disappeared, Belly knows what she must do to make things right again. And it can only happen back at the beach house, the three of them together, the way things used to be. If this summer really and truly is the last summer, it should end the way it started--at Cousins Beach.

Review:

Plot:  In the 2nd novel of the Summer series, we have Belly at home for the first time in 17 years.  We learn some of the backstory as to how and what happened to her relationship with Conrad over the course of a few months or so after The Summer I Turned Pretty.  We find out pretty early on the Conrad has disappeared and Belly ends up back at Cousins Beach and the summer house with the two boys she can't decide between.  All in all this was a very solid followup.  The plot thickens, hearts get broken, and fun insues.  The only issue I have with this series is I know exactly how the series will end.  Even though I haven't read any spoilers for the final book, I think we can all pretty much assume who Belly will end up with. 

Characters:  I still am not real crazy about Belly as a character, but I do feel she did alot of growing up in this installment.  ***Spoiler for The Summer I Turned Pretty***  I love how she explores a relationship with Jeremiah and comes to the understanding that Conrad might just not be the one for her.This novel also brought about my love for Jeremiah.  I've always liked him better than Conrad, but there is something about Conrad that kept pulling me toward him despite my love for Jeremiah.  Speaking of Conrad, I think the whole father/son relationship with his father helped explain why Conrad is the way he is.   

Despite it's predictability, this series is quite a good read. Not real serious, but with enough drama and romance and fun to pass the lazy (and not so lazy) summer days.

4 out of 5 stars







No comments:

Post a Comment