Thursday, May 23, 2013

Review - The Bet by Rachel Van Dyken

 
Series:  N/A
Publisher:  Self Published
Published:  March 26, 2013
Pages:  240, US Kindle Edition
Edition Reviewed:  ebook
Source:  Borrowed
 
Summary:
 
"I have a proposition for you..."
Kacey should have run the minute those words left Seattle millionaire Jake Titus's mouth. Instead, she made a deal with the devil in hopes of putting her past behind her once and for all.
Four days.
She could do four days!
But she wasn't counting on Jake’s older brother Travis being there to witness their farce of an engagement.
One thing is for certain.
One brother is right for her.
One wants a lifetime.
And one is in league with the devil.
She should have gotten Jake’s signature in blood.
 
Review: 
 
I read this one on a whim, as I USUALLY do not like "young millionaire" type books.  But I have the first book in Van Dyken's Seaside novels, so what the hell, right?  I will say that I liked this book more than I thought I would, but it hasn't made my list of favorites.  My main reason for this is Jake.  I couldn't freaking stand that bastard.  I have no idea why Kacey was so hung up on him.  Throughout the whole novel, he was a chauvinistic ass.  I just didn't buy into his whole attitude.  
 
Jake's brother Travis was infinitely more likeable.  While I wouldn't put him on my top ten swoon list, he did have his moments.  While Jake and Kacey's not-quite-a-relationship fell flat, Kacey and Travis' had some sizzle.  You could actually see a relationship developing between the two.
 
And I don't think we can end a review on this book without mentioning Grandma!  Wonderfully funny, that woman!  Reminded me a lot of Grandma Mazur from the Stephanie Plum books!
 
3 out of 5 stars 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment