Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Review - The Vincent Boys by Abbi Glines

 
 
Series:  The Vincent Boys #1
Publisher:  Simon Pulse
Published:  October 12, 2011
Pages:  259, US Paperback
Edition Reviewed:  ebook
Source:  Borrowed
 
Summary:
 
There was something wicked about Beau that drew me to him. What was wrong with me? Why did I want to sin so badly?

Ashton is getting tired of being good, of impressing her parents and playing ideal girlfriend to Sawyer Vincent. Sawyer is perfect, a regular Prince Charming, but when he leaves town for the summer, it’s his cousin Beau who catches Ashton’s eye. Beau is the sexiest guy she’s ever seen, and even though he’s dangerous, Ashton is drawn to him.

Beau loves his cousin like a brother, so the last thing he wants to do is make a move on Sawyer’s girl. Ashton is off-limits, absolutely. That’s why he does his best to keep his distance, even though he’s been in love with her forever. When Ashton wants to rekindle their childhood friendship in Sawyer’s absence, Beau knows he should say no.

Ashton and Beau don’t want to hurt Sawyer. But the more they try to stay away from each other, the more intense their urges become. It’s getting way too hard to resist...
 
 
Review *always spoiler free unless noted*:
 
I would just like to state that this was my first novel that introduced me to the "New Adult" genre.  Wait, I know, it's not REALLY New Adult.  But it is steamier than what could be classified as YA.  I read this over 6 months ago, so you'll have to forgive me if my memory is not as fresh as it could be.  Onward with the review!
 
I'm a sucker for love triangles.  Yes, everyone seems to hate them and yes, they are so overdone and cliched.  And yet I find myself drawn to them.  I can't help it.  Guilty as charged.  That being said, I thought this book was great.  The characters were developed well, and the author nailed life and temperment in the South.  Being as I live near the Alabama/Florida border, I know it like the back of my hand.  Sawyer-the Southern gentleman, who will do anything for his girl, including letting her find her way.  Sawyer never tried to hold Ashton back.  He loved her but didn't want to make her decisions for her and never held it against her and I liked his character quite a bit for that.  Beau-
a Southern bad boy in all the right ways.  Again, a Southern gentleman, but in a bad boy way.  He's been in love with Ashton his whole life, but never expressed his feelings for her for her own good.  Ashton-good girl extraordinaire, who struggles to deserve her perfect boyfriend.  She longs to let loose, and be a little wild, and Beau is the perfect one to show her how.
 
Such a good book!  I was pleasantly surprised, as I wasn't really expecting much out of it.  Why?  I'll be honest.  The cover.  Yes, I know, judging books by their cover and all that. 
No, not the current cover.  The old one with the lollipop lips.  Anyways, like I said it was my first real taste of steamier YA.  And boy was it good!  Their were some smexy scenes without getting too descriptive.  I would recommend this one for those that are used to YA and want a taste of what the New Adult category is like.
 
4/5 Stars
 
 


 -Victoria Victorious

No comments:

Post a Comment