Monday, March 18, 2013

Review - In The Band by Jean Haus


 
 
Series: Luminescent Juliet #1
Publisher: CreateSpace
Published: October 19, 2012
Pages: 301, Kindle Edition
Edition Reviewed: ebook
Source:  Borrowed
 
Summary:
 
When family problems push Riley Middleton into giving up a percussion scholarship in another state and attending college from home, her friends push her to try out for a local rock band. Of course, Riley makes the band. She rules at the drums.

Riley soon finds out rock bands have a different dynamic than marching bands, especially when each of her male band mates has a major ego and is a major player. Two of them relentlessly flirt with her. The other—a dark, sexy rock god she can’t help being attracted to— is a total jerk and pushes her to quit. She becomes determined to ignore his rudeness and his hotness. Even if she was interested in jerks, a hook up would probably get her booted out of the ego-ridden band, and playing keeps her sane. Behind the drums, the world and its troubles evaporate.

If she wants to stay in the band, Riley needs to ignore the growing sparks between her and her band enemy. But as she gets to know the man behind the stage persona, ignoring him proves to be more difficult than flowing through a time sig shift.
 
Review *always spoiler free unless noted*:
 
There were 2 reasons I wanted to read this book:  1. Bad Boys galore and 2. Rock band!  I thought the characters were pretty well rounded, although there was room for more development, and I pretty much liked all the characters, even the minor ones.  The plot is pretty formulatic, but I like these plots.  They are my comfort zone.  They were a couple of issues I had with it, however minor.  The first being the main love interest's name.  Romeo.  Romeo?  Romeo?!?  *insert eyeroll here*  The second?  Romeo does that stereotypical 180 from sarcastic, asshat bad rocker boy to complete sappy loverboy.  I like my boys to keep their angst AND be sweet and romantic.  There was another issue (keep in ming I read this 6+ months ago) that I had but was completely personal and not the book or author's fault, but has since been remedied.  This being that I wasn't swooning for Romeo.  Oh no, my heart belongs to Justin.  What can I say?  I melt into a puddle at the thought of jerk-off lead singers.  I REALLY wanted a book about Justin.  And as of a couple of days ago, I got my wish!  Ms. Haus is releasing a companion novel,  Ink My Heart, about Justin *falls to the floor typical Southern belle-style*.  No release date yet, but you bet your ass I'll be all over it!
 
4/5 Stars



 
-Victoria Victorious

No comments:

Post a Comment