Thursday, October 20, 2011

Review - We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han


Series:  Summer #3
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster Children's
Published:  April 26, 2011
Edition:  Hardcover, US
Pages:  291
Source:  Bought

**May Contain Spoilers for Previous Books**

Summary:
It's been two years since Conrad told Belly to go with Jeremiah. She and Jeremiah have been inseparable ever since, even attending the same college-- only, their relationship hasn't exactly been the happily ever after Belly had hoped it would be. And when Jeremiah makes the worst mistake a boy can make, Belly is forced to question what she thought was true love. Does she really have a future with Jeremiah? Has she ever gotten over Conrad? It's time for Belly to decide, once and for all, who has her heart forever.

Review:

PLOT:  The final book in the series starts our MCs out in college.  Belly and Jeremiah are attending the same college and have been together for 2 years now.  But then Jeremiah cheats on Belly and she begins to question if her feelings for Jeremiah are true or if her heart still really belongs to Conrad.  As with the other 2 books in the series, this one is told in alternating time frames and perspectives.  And I couldn't put this book down.  I started reading it one night after work, about 11pm, and finished it by 2am.  The great thing about this book is the feeling of closure and finality it brought.  For me, most final books in a series still leave me wanting more.  Not this one.  Jenny Han did an excellent job with this book.  It also kept me on my toes as far as which boy Belly would choose.  It kept me going back and forth.  As soon as I was dead sure she was picking one of them, Han would pull Belly's decision to another, and so on and so forth.

CHARACTERS:  I actually really enjoyed Belly throughout this novel.  In the previous 2 books, she was just kind of "meh" to me, but I feel she really found her own self in this one.  She had a lot to deal with and she handled her emotions pretty damn well.  Jeremiah, on the other hand took a fall down the character ladder.  And no, it's not the way he was written.   It was what he did to Belly.  My intense dislike for him in this installment shows how great of an author Han really is.  Oh, and Conrad.  Yes, he comes off as a complete asshat in the other 2 books, but in this one you just want to give him a great big hug.  You really see his love for Belly and you get an understanding of why he was the way he was towards her.  And who does Belly end up marrying?  Conrad or Jeremiah?  I'm not telling but I'll give you a hint:  it was who I always knew she would end up with.  Not much of hint, I know.  But I guess you'll have to read it and find out for yourself!

4.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment