Sunday, October 23, 2011

Review - Forever by Maggie Stiefvater


Series:  The Wolves of Mercy Falls #3
Published:  July 12, 2011
Publisher:  Scholastic
Edition:  Hardcover, US
Pages:  390
Source:  Bought

Summary

The thrilling conclusion to #1 bestselling Shiver trilogy from Maggie Stievater
In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. In Linger, they fought to be together. Now, in Forever, the stakes are even higher than before. Wolves are being hunted. Lives are being threatened. And love is harder and harder to hold on to as death comes closing in.
 
Review
 
PLOT:  Alright, so the acutal summary form Goodreads doesn't really tell you what the book is about.  Basically, The wolves are being hunted by the likes of Isabel's father and his cohorts, which spells bad news, especially for Grace.  She can't stop her involuntary shifts into a wolf, which happens every minutes or hours.  Meanwhile, the realtionships of Grace/Sam and Isabel/Cole are explored some more. 
I actually really liked this book.  It seemed to be a really slow start and I was a good 1/2 way into it before I really started to become interested.  Despite that, Stiefvater depicted every event so clearly that you can actually picture yourself in Mercy Falls and in the events that happen.  And I will put my two cents in on the ending.  Don't worry, NO SPOILERS!  The ending seems to be a love it/hate it issue to all readers who have read Forever.  Personally, I'm on the fence.  At first, I absolutely abhorred it.  But then in the weeks following my reading, the more I understood the reason it was the way it was.
 
CHARACTERS:  Sam and Grace.  Sam and Grace.  Sam and Grace.  I have a confession to make.  In Shiver, I loved them as a couple and as individuals.  In Linger, I still enjoyed them but the romance was starting to wear on me.  And then POW!  Enter Cole.  DOUBLE POW!! Enter Isabel meeting Cole.  By this book, I fell in love with Cole and Isabel's relationship (or lack thereof).  When the book ended, I really wanted to know more about them.  In Forever, I honestly didn't give a flying crap about Sam and Grace anymore.  I wanted Cole and Isabel.  And while there wasn't a whole hell of a lot of interaction between the two, I savored the moments there was.  I would love to see a spinoff series involving these two, but then again, I kind of want to leave this fantastic series just where it ended.
 
4.5 out of 5 stars
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment