Monday, June 6, 2011

Review - Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

Summary:

When Carlos Fuentes returns to America after living in Mexico for a year, he doesn’t want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him at a high school in Colorado . Carlos likes living his life on the edge and wants to carve his own path—just like Alex did. Then he meets Kiara Westford. She doesn’t talk much and is completely intimidated by Carlos’ wild ways. As they get to know one another, Carlos assumes Kiara thinks she’s too good for him, and refuses to admit that she might be getting to him. But he soon realizes that being himself is exactly what Kiara needs right now.


Review:

Words cannot begin to describe how excited I was for this book.  I didn't read it right away in part due to wanting to extend the Fuentes brothers love as long as possible.  I also didn't want to wait a full year until the next one Chain Reaction hit shelves.  I knew if I read Rules of Attraction right away, it would drive me crazy to not have the next book.

Characters:  I think as far as personality goes, it mos' def ' liked Carlos and Kiara better than Alex and Brittany.  As far as the romance goes, I liked Alex and Brittany better.  But I think that's because Alex and Brittany had more struggles to overcome regarding their relationship.  Carlos was an awesome character.  He was to toally sarcastic, snarky, rude, sexy, and loveable all rolled up into Simone Elkeles' own Fuentes burrito.  Kiara was fun too.  I liked how she put off to everyone that she was a total goody to shoes, but around Carlos, she let her hair down (book reference, anyone?).  I also thought Kiara's parents were totally cool, albeit quite unrealalistic as far as parents go (the making out scene, by chance?!?).  One thing I did not like about this book was, gasp!.....Alex.  He was a total pansy and not the loveable and bad ass Alex I fell in love with in Perfect Chemistry.

Plot:  As much as I adored this book, it definately didn't hold a candle to Perfect Chemistry.  The conflict in this book was just too easy, unlike Alex's conflict, which was actually quite frightening.  I enjoyed Carlos and Kiara's attraction to each other and thought it moved and a nice and steady pace.  One thing I have disliked about both books in the series are the epilogues.  I hate them.  They are so incredibly corny, and yet I couldn't help but read the one in Rules of Attraction.  As much as I'm looking forward the the next one, I'm also dreading the end of the trilogy :(

4.5 out 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment