Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Review - The Iron King by Julie Kagawa


Series:  The Iron King #1
Published:   February 1 2010
Publisher:  Harlequin Teen
Edition:  Paperback, US
Pages:  363
Source:  Bought

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

I had been putting this book off for so long.  As with Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series, I had high expectations that I was afraid wouldn't get met.  Not to mention these books seem to be those loveit or hate it ones.  Never in betweens.  And I must say, I'm on the LOVE IT team! 

Plot:  It always amazes me how authors can come up with the most fantastical things to write about.  Maybe it is because I am not an author myself, and am very impressed when authors can create thier own worlds, languages, and customs in said world (HP!).  Julie Kagawa takes a traditional play (A Midsummer Night's Dream) and totally transforms it into her own by adding storylines and characters so rich in development that you feel like you've known them you whole life.  And the Iron Fey?  Genius!

Characters:  Oh the characters.  Most of them were greatly developed, and I'm sure will be more so in the following books.  Meghan was a strong willed and head first character, which I liked. She was also insecure and had many flaws, which is extremely important in a main character (well, to me).  Puck was funny and he was developed nicely as well.  I would love to have him as a best friend!  And Ash.  What can I say about Prince Ash?  He's the dark and brooding son of the Winter Queen and oh-so-sexy.  He's not developed too well, and for good reason.  He's supposed to be mysterious and dangerous, fighting his attraction to Meghan.  His book is the final book in the series and I can't wait to read the next 2 before getting to that one!

5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment