Monday, May 30, 2011

Review - Beastly by Alex Flinn

Summary:
I am a beast.
A beast!
Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright. I am a monster.
You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll, stay this way forever ruined unless I can break the spell.
Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly...beastly.


Review:

This is one of those books that has always been in my TBR pile, but always got pushed back because of more anticipated reads.  With the movie coming out on DVD in just a little while (I never did get to see it in theaters), I wanted to make sure I read the book so I would be well versed.

Characters:  I really liked Aiden/Kyle as a character.  I think he went through some pretty remarkable changes once he was turned into a beast.  He was such a sweetheart, ***SPOILER ALERT***even after he broke the spell and changed back into regular Kyle Kingsbury.***END SPOILER ALERT***I also adored Will, who was just an all around nice guy.  And of course, the witch, Kendra.  Because who doesn't like females who know how to put a straight up a**hole in their place?  Now, Lindie on the other hand was something else.  I hated her.  She was so childlike and annoying.  My issue with one of the MCs unfortunately, lowered my rating.

Plot:  A nice urban twist on the modern fairy tale, Beauty and the Beast.  I'm pretty new to to the retold fairy tale stories, and as a child I never was into any of the Disney Princess movies.  I will more than likely check out Flinn's other fairy tale novel, Cloaked, and I surely be adding Beastly (movie) to my Netflix queue when it is released.  Fans of romances will probably adore this book!

3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment