Thursday, April 28, 2011

Review - Delirium by Lauren Oliver

**Review copy provided by publisher**

Summary:

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.


Review:

Being a fan of Oliver's first novel, Before I Fall,  I was super excited to get an ARC of her newest novel.  This one didn't disappoint!  I'm loving dystopian novels, and this one was not an exception. 

Characters:  I honestly loved almost all the characters.  Hana was an ideal best friend, even during the fallout between her and Lena.  Thire friendship felt even more real because of the fight aspect.  I didn't particularly love Lena, but I still thought she was a great MC.  She was caring and smart and I was rooting for her happiness the entire time.  Alex, oh Alex.  He was incedibly sweet and caring, with a slight bad boy edge.  I didn't really like him as a love interest until about halfway through the book.  But once I was through that first half, HOLY COW I wanted him for my own!  That lucky Lena!

Plot:  While dystopia is definatley not new, the plot adds a little something new to the story thats being done all around the YA book community.    I'll admit, I really wasn't enjoying this book all that much until about halfway through.  That's when the love story really picks up, as well as the action.  Oh and the end?  I wanted to pound my face against my Kindle when I read the ending.  Thank God this is a series because the cliffhanger ending leaves you saying  screaming  WHAAAT?!?  HOW ARE YOU ENDING IT THIS WAY?!?

4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment