Friday, January 28, 2011

Weekend Recap

Weekend Recap (Formerly Feature Friday) is where I will recap the past week, including reviews, what I'm reading, and what's next on my to-read list.
*All photos and summaries are courtesy of Goodreads

Review - Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews


Summary:

It was a case of tender, loving murder.

The four children had perfect lives. They lived in a golden family filled with happiness. But their father dies suddenly, their mother throws themselves on the mercy of her parents - who had disowned her long ago.
Their mother promised they would stay only long enough to inherit the fortune. But gradually she forgot how much she adored her family. Kept hidden in the airless attic, the children now lived alone except for fleeting visits from their mother. Visits that became increasing infrequent... and increasily deadly...
Flowers in the Attic: the compelling story of a family's betrayal and heartbreak, love and revenge.


Review:

I never read this when I was 12, but I do remember some of the hype in my early middle school days.  Seems a little odd how that was in the 90's but yet this book was published in the late 70's/early 80's....Alas, I was too busy with the shenanigans of THE BABYSITTER'S CLUB, GOOSEBUMPS, and NANCY DREW to pay this book much attention.

This review is going to be difficult to write.  So many emotions ran through me all at the same time.  It's heartbreaking, anger inducing, disgusting, and thoroughly enjoyable all at once.  At around 400 pages, it's a little wordy, but for the good.  It gives you a sense of just how long Chris, Cathy, Carrie, and Cory were in that attic/bedroom.  ***SPOILER ALERT***The relationship between Chris and Cathy was a little hard to swallow, what with incestuous-ness of it, but you couldn't help feel for them at the same time.  Living your teen years acting as mother/father figures in 2 rooms can't be easy, especially with budding emotional and sexual feelings.  That being said I was a little shocked that the author put the sex/rape scene in between Cathy and Chris.  Seemed a little much, especially for the time this book was published. 

Overall a very good read, and I am eagerly awaiting news from the library about whether they will be able to get the next books in the series in for me through Interlibrary Loan.

What I'm Reading - I started Judgement in Death by J.D. Robb at 4:45 am Friday morning.  My boyfriend got up for work and made so much noise that I just decided to get up and read. 

What's next? - Either Linger by Maggie Stiefvater or Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning.  I've read Darkfever before, but for the life of me cannot remember ONE SINGLE THING about it, even after skimming a couple chapters of the book in the bookstore the other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment