Saturday, October 30, 2010

Weekend Recap (Formerly Feature Friday) (5)

Weekend Recap (Formerly Feature Friday) is where I will recap the past week, including reviews, what I'm reading, and what's next on my to-read list.
*All photos and summaries are courtesy of Goodreads


Review - Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
*Spoilers Ahead*


My name is Katniss Everdeen. Why am I not dead? I should be dead.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans -- except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay -- no matter what the personal cost.


Let me first start out by saying that I truly enjoyed this book, maybe as much as the first.  I know ALOT of people where disappointed in this book, but I was not one of them.  Let start with the love triangle.  Gale and Peeta.  One's gorgeous and manly and wants nothing more than to save Katniss.  The others is sweet and caring, with boyishly good looks.  I have been a devout Team Gale fan for the whole series...until this book.  Well, until the last half of this book.  Initially I was sooo thrilled to have so much Gale/Katniss interaction, but slowly my attraction for Gale began to waiver in favor of Peeta.  I can't quite put my finger on what made me switch sides, but here I am crossing into enemy territory, so to speak.  Even though Katniss does end up with Peeta in the end, I'm with alot of Team Gale fans as to thinking Gale kinda got screwed.  Gale left, and Peeta was there.  There was really no other option than Peeta, now was there?  I also wanted more info on what Gale was doing, etc. which we did not get to see.  But I digress.

Next topic, the oh-so-bloodiness.  Damn this was a pretty gorey novel.  And I loved evey bit of it.  OK, so I'm a bit of a freak.  The more grisely the death, the better the book.

Last topic, Katniss herself.  While most every one I know hated Katniss in this installment, I think her attitude just shows a deeper, more fragile Katniss.  In the other 2 novels, Katniss has been the level headed one, the collected one, the determined one.  In Mockingjay, she's broken, hurt, scarred.  But she has reason to be.  Prim dies, her assassin team dies, CINNA DIES, and so does Finnick.  Although I was a tad disappointed that Katniss didn't blow Snow's head the f*ck off.  Great ending to an incredible trilogy!

What I'm Reading - I just cracked Beautiful Creatures  by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.  This is a monster (well, a mini monster) of a book and I have heard that this book is either a love it or hate it kinda book, so I'm a little wary.

What's Next? - More than likely Before I Die by Jenny Downham.

No comments:

Post a Comment