Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Feature Friday....on Wednesday (2)

**Sorry guys!  I know I'm behind here, but I have been pulling double shifts at work all this and last week, so I'm a little behind in my blogging!  Hence, this being posted on Wednesday instead of Friday!

Feature Fridays is where I will recap the past week, including reviews, what I'm reading, and what's next on my to-read list.
*All photos and summaries are courtesy of Goodreads

Mini Review - Dating Dead Men by Harley Jane Kozak *Minor Spoiler Ahead*

Los Angeles greeting-card artist Wollie Shelley is dating forty men in sixty days as research for a radio talk show host's upcoming book, How to Avoid Getting Dumped All the Time. Wollie is meeting plenty of eligible bachelors but not falling in love, not until she stumbles over a dead body en route to Rio Pescado--a state-run mental hospital--and is momentarily taken hostage by a charismatic "doctor" who is on the run from the Mob. Wollie fears that her beloved brother, a paranoid schizophrenic living at Rio Pescado, is involved in the murder, so rather than go to the authorities, she decides to solve the crime on her own. As she meets up with an array of small-time crooks and swaggering mobsters only slightly more sinister than the men she’s been dating, Wollie realizes that "getting dumped" is the least of her problems. Finding true love, she discovers, sometimes means learning how to avoid getting killed . .


I had literally been on the hold list for this book for months at the library and I'm not quite sure why.  It's not new, so I'm still pondering.  Anywho, I really enjoyed this book.  Wollie was a great heroine, and I loved her everyday banter.  Fredreeq was also quite a character.  This book was very reminiscent of the humor in the Stephanie Plum and Spellman series'.  I thought the story flowed very nicely, and it the characters developed well.  The only part I thought need improving was the whole "Mafia" aspect.  I got a little confused when they started explaining all the members of the mafia and how they tied in with the murder.  This is apparently a 3 book series as of now and I will be reading the other 2 in the very near future!



Mini Review - The Van Alen Legacy (Blue Bloods #4) by Melissa de la Cruz


With the stunning revelation surrounding Bliss's true identity comes the growing threat of the sinister Silver Bloods. Once left to live the glamorous life in New York City, the Blue Bloods now find themselves in an epic battle for survival. Not to worry, love is still in the air for the young vampires of the Upper East Side. Or is it? Jack and Schuyler are over. Oliver's brokenhearted. And only the cunning Mimi seems to be happily engaged.


It has been a good 8 months since I have read the book before this one, Revelations.  I have to admit, I was pretty confused through a good portion of ths book, because there are just SO many alias' for the main and minor characters.  If you have read this series, than you know what I am speaking of.  Anyway, this book picks up approximately 1 year after the events that went down at the Corcovado.  I honestly felt that nothing got straightened out or accomplished in this latest installment.  I was also expecting some kind of wedding or bonding in this one due to the cover image.  But alas, no.  This one is probably my least favorite of the series so far.



Mini Review - Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (Shopaholic #2) by Sophie Kinsella


With her shopping excesses (somewhat) in check and her career as a TV financial guru thriving, Becky’s biggest problem seems to be tearing her entrepreneur boyfriend, Luke, away from work for a romantic country weekend. And worse, figuring out how to pack light. But packing takes on a whole new meaning when Luke announces he’s moving to New York for business—and he asks Becky to go with him! Before you can say “Prada sample sale,” Becky has landed in the Big Apple, home of Park Avenue penthouses and luxury boutiques.
Surely it’s only a matter of time until she becomes an American TV celebrity, and she and Luke are the toast of Gotham society. Nothing can stand in their way, especially with Becky’s bills miles away in London. But then an unexpected disaster threatens her career prospects, her relationship with Luke, and her available credit line!



I enjoyed this one much more than the first in the series.  The writing was a little better and I feel Becky's character was better developed.  I still think that the author needs to work on Luke Brandon a bit.  His character is like a statue to me, hard and cold.  I don't really have much to write about this book, as it is totally a mindless beach read.  You really don't gain anything by reading it and the story doesn't stick with you, but it was fun while you read it!


Mini Review - Last Scene Alive (Aurora Teagarden #7) by Charlaine Harris *Minor Spoiler Ahead*

A killer Script with a bloody ending--and amateur sleuth Aurora Teagarden has a starring role. Aurora Teagarden has never forgotten her first case, a serial killer who terrorized suburban Lawrencetown. Now that story is about to hit the small screen. Even if she wanted to, Aurora can't help getting involved. Her ex, Robin, wrote the TV movie's screenplay and her stepson, Barrett, has a starring role. Then there's Celia--the catty actress portraying Roe--who, by the way, also happens to be Robin's latest squeese.
But when Celia is murdered and Barrett is accused, the real-life script takes a deadly turn, Between threatening letters, deranged fans and renewed feelings for Robin, Aurora has one goal: catch a killer and make it to the final scene alive.



This is probably my least favorite out of the series so far.  I didn't enjoy the movie cast, except for Robin Crusoe.  There were a whole lot of characters (from the movie cast) that were introduced all at one time, and I found myself having to constantly flip through the book to figure out who was who and why they were important.   To me, that's never a good sign.  I did, however, enjoy Aurora immensly in this installment.  I loved the fact that she can overcome her grief about Martin's passing enough to sell their house and embrace a relationship with Robin.  I hope the next and final book in this series does not disappoint.


What I'm Reading - I'm about to start the 3rd book in the Kinsey Milhone series, C is for Corpse by Sue Grafton.

What's Next? - Next is a book that I have checked out from the library not 1, not 2....but 3 times and still haven't gotten a chance to read it.  Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys by Kate Brian.

No comments:

Post a Comment